Notes On Final Cuts and MorePosted: March 28, 2011
Here are some notes from the day of final cuts:
- Jesus Montero and Austin Romine were optioned to Triple A and Double A, respectively giving Gustavo Molina the back up catcher job until Francisco Cervelli comes back from his injury. The Yankees want the two of them to get daily playing time.
- Eric Chavez signed a major league deal today and will make the team as the back up corner infielder. Ronnie Belliard was released.
- Ramiro Pena was also optioned to Triple A which means that Eduardo Nunez will round out the bench as the utility man.
- Pedro Feliciano will start the season on the disabled list and it looks like Steve Garrison will be taking his spot until he gets back.
- Curtis Granderson couldn’t participate in any drills today because of the rain and it looks iffy for him being ready for Opening Day, although a DL stint is probably not going to happen.
- A Japanese team bought the rights to the out-of-options Romulo Sanchez.
- Francisco Cervelli will be out of his walking boot either today or tomorrow so he should be resuming baseball activity soon.
- Alex Rodriguez says he plans on playing 150 games this year. I’ll believe it when I see it.
- Mark Prior will stay with the Tampa team to get back to MLB form.