Homers Power Yanks To 7-3 WinPosted: May 22, 2011
The night after the Yankees only managed one run off of RA Dickey and the Mets, they came out ready to play, and more importantly to hit. They would this one 7-3 and force a split in the first two games. Here’s a shortened recap:
- AJ Burnett started the game off by allowing the bases loaded with nobody out. From there, I thought it was going to be a bad game. However, the Mets only manages two runs. Burnett would settle down and allow three runs on six hits and three walks in 6.1 innings.
- Boone Logan came in and gave up a hit and was immediately got taken out. David Robertson came on with first and third with one out and the fireman that he is got out of it, earning him the nickname ‘Houdini.’
- Joba came on and pitched a perfect eighth and then after the Yanks tacked on another run in the bottom half, Luis Ayala threw a perfect ninth.
- The Bombers managed four homers in the game. The first came in the second off the bat of Russell Martin and was of the 2-run variety to tie it at 2. In the third, Teixeira hit a 2-run homer, the second of this series, to give them a 4-2 lead. Then, in the sixth, within three batters of each other, Curtis Granderson and Alex Rodriguez went deep, that’s right another for the Grandy Man.
- Another good thing to take from this game is that they didn’t really do poorly with runners in scoring position. Do you wan to know why? Because they had no runners on base long enough before the homer came. It really is a good strategy.
So anyway, the Yankees needed this after a tough Friday night and they will now go for the series win behind Ivan Nova against Mike Pelfrey. The game will be shown at 1:05 on YES.