Nova Decent, But Not Enough In 3-2 LossPosted: June 4, 2011
It’s really late and I’m very tired so I’m just gonna bullet-point this one:
- Ivan Nova was pretty good. He went 6+ IP, 8 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 92 pitches (58 strikes). It is definitely an improvement and I think he’ll live as a starter for another day and he did settle down very nicely, but the lack of strikeouts continues to concern me. Better though.
- David Robertson then came on to finish the seventh and struck out the same amount of people in his lone inning than Nova did in his six.
- Boone Logan then came on to start the ninth and gave up a hit and got nobody out before Luis Ayala was called upon to get the final three outs. When will we see Randy Flores?
- The Bombers got their two runs on a Russell Martin RBI single and a Jorge Posada (no, not a typo) RBI double. They only manages three hits (all off of Jered Weaver) and five walks against the entire Angels pitching staff. Alex Rodriguez is the only player who had a good night going 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- Derek Jeter went 0-for-3 with a walk so he still sits sixteen hits away from 3000 and Curtis Granderson is now a little mini-slump going 0-for-his-last-9 with five strikeouts.
So that’s really it. All we can hope for is a better tomorrow and the Yankees will get that chance tomorrow against the Halos again, but not Danny Haren who got his start moved back to Tuesday due to a sore back. I’m not sure what they’re going to do, but I’ll bet that they just move Ervin Santana up to Saturday and Joel Pineiro up to Sunday because they were off on Thursday so they can pitch on regular rest.