CC, Bats Lead Yanks Past TribePosted: July 6, 2011
It’s the best feeling to have a guy who you can rely on take the mound after two straight losses. That’s exactly what happened tonight as CC Sabathia was dominant against his former team leading the Yanks to a 9-2 win. Let’s recap:
- CC Sabathia was once again fantastic yielding five hits and two walks while striking out eleven in seven scoreless frames. He needed exactly 100 pitches (69 strikes) to get through the outing. He just had everything working once again: he was hitting 96 on the gun and he had a great slider. He could possibly have thirteen wins before the All-Star break. He’s just the man.
- It didn’t look good for the offense in the first. They were facing Carlos Carrasco who had baffled them last month and all they managed early on was a Derek Jeter infield single. But in the second, Carrasco lost his command after a long at-bat with Nick Swisher which he lost. He would walk Jorge Posada and Brett Gardner back-to-back to set up the Bombers first scoring opportunity.
- Frankie Cervelli came up to the plate with the bases loaded and one out and tried to help the Indians get out of trouble by hitting a ground ball to short, but a bad throw by Cord Phelps on the back end of the double play turn made Cervelli safe and a run scored. Derek Jeter followed with a two-run double to left center, followed by a Curtis Granderson two-run jack to cap the scoring for the inning.
- Granderson would hit another homer in the fourth off of Carrasco, this one a solo, which gives him 25 on the year and ties him with Mark Teixeira for the team lead. In the eighth, they would add three more on a Robinson Cano RBI double, a Swisher RBI single and a Posada sac fly. Jorgie now has that average up to .241 (!!!).
- Lance Pendleton tossed the last two innings and allowed two runs on two hits and two walks and only struck out one. The two runs he allowed both scored on sac flies. I can’t wait for him to be sent down tomorrow when they activate Hughes.
- Jeter collected two hits in this one which put him at 2996. He will probably get 3000 at home which is good because maybe people will stop complaining that he won’t get to do it in front of his fans. Brett Gardner also swiped two bases which gives him 22 on the season and it is safe to say that he is in a rhythm. Finally.